Monday, February 25, 2013

Recovery Conditioning for the Older Horse

In light of the fact that Diego is approaching the point where he'll be 100% rideable again (fingers crossed) I thought I would spend some time explaining my thoughts and theories that I've based my plans on for our conditioning...  First I'll explain my influences, then the specific 'plan'.

My goal since 2010 has been to build as fit, athletic and happy a horse as I can. Plain and simple - that is what I want for D. The bulk of my work with Diego to build muscle, flexibility and thus balance: is governed by basic principles of classic based dressage. In short I want to encourage proper muscle use by making it fun and/or comfortable to use the right muscle groups. I want to minimize joint and tissue damage by avoiding: "drills" / excessive repetitive motions, unbalanced, fast or otherwise harmful movement to the body that's not bio-mechanically correct. A lot of our work has been very slow & subtle (leaving alot of viewers to believe we're doing nothing at all). Doing things slowly goes against my nature as a whole, so that should give an example of how much I truly believe in what I'm doing! I've learned alot from various places during my research, but the places I keep going back to for information & encouragement are:

Art of Natural Dressage
Science of Motion
Marijke de Jong (trained by Bent Branderup)
Dr. Deb Benett
Sustainable Dressage

I also use clicker training to help me 'mark' the correct responses that help build correct movement.

Throughout everything Diego has maintained a very basic level of fitness through hand walking. Now it's time to get FIT, and build those back muscles that have been nearly non-existent for years!

 Ze Plan:
As I sit here and write this I begin to see how futile it is to come up with a rigid plan, when I know that what we ultimately do each day is subject to SO many variables! Weather, mood, physical ability etc. None the less I intend to use this as a guide.

STATIC: (used daily or nearly daily)
  • Belly Lifts (using a blunt object like the handle of a hoofpick - run it up and down under your horses doral/belly button line to encourage them to lift their back. Hold for 5-10 seconds. Repeat. 5-10 reps is our goal
  • Butt Tucks (use thumbs or blunt object and press lightly on either side of tailhead, squeezing together and inward, horse usually tucks their croup) I was told by my chiropractor that this exercise helps stretch out the lumbar spine especially if the horse is taken to standing hollow alot, and it also exercises/clenches the gluteal muscles.
    5-10 rep goal
  • Jambettes  (fancy word for foreleg lifts) We do this with clicker training and I encourage an upright posture during lifts, because the point of the exercise is to lighten and free up the shoulders and shift is bodyweight to a more horizontal orientation, rather than a forehand-heavy orientation. Head and neck position is very important and I find it alot easier to encourage him to hold the posture himself, rather than me restrain his head with equipment. He as to be self sufficient to truly learn muscle memory!
  • Neck Arches  - also called Ramener by some. I encourage D to tuck his chin slightly so that his neck becomes soft and his face his just infront of the vertical, then I ask the base of his neck to lift as high as possible.  The purpose for this is to again encourage lightness in the forehand at the halt, to gently flex the poll and most importantly to work the muscles deep in the chest at the base of the neck teaching LIFT. If the 'lift' is not there, it doesn't matter how much he raises his head - it won't accomplish what we need for lightness. I also do this by clicker training for the same purpose as the leglifts: D has to learn to use his muscles in the correct way without my physical interference: it's all about muscle memory! With this exercise I can also modify it to work different muscle groups. Sometimes I focus more on the 'lift', sometimes we work more on softness in the vertical poll flexion.
In the long run, static exercises are key in body building and all important steps to balance and collection for us, and all we need is a relatively flat space to stand and do them!

MOVEMENT: (daily and semi-daily exercises)
  • Walking - obviously lots of walking is in order for fitness, no matter what. I try to get in a minimum 20 minutes of a brisk pace everyday. Preferably at this point we should be doing 1hr walks but my body just can't handle that on some days and D can just about out-walk 17h horses when he gets going!
  • Shoulder-In. We are finally to the point were his hooves have healed (read: grown out) enough to handle the twisting/torque of this movement. We should be doing this everyday by now. I'm noticing big problems coming off D's rest period, he's having problems with bend and balance - inevitably too much bend=loss of balance or too little bend/stiffness. We have alot of work to do. Ideally I want a gentle bend, without a break at the base of the neck (I want the shoulders involved and lifting), slow with a steady rhythm and engaged hind legs (which usually isn't a problem for him).
  • Backing. I don't understand all the mechanisms yet, but backing really works! Once D has been properly warmed up and barring any significant problems or soreness, he backs very smoothly. I generally encouraged a relaxed/lowered head position, but again his head position is not something I interfere with physically. I do NOT feel that pressure on the head (which in turn affects the entire vertebra column) is of any benefit in this movement. I usually aim for backing atleast 20-50 feet 3x per instance. You can vary it and back in circles too but we haven't mastered that yet as D's one-sidedness causes uh... directionally challenged issues. LoL
  • Hill work. I had very limited success with hillwork back in 2010 and 2011 before Diego's laminitis and Cushings diagnosis'. Hills in general were very painful for him (in my ignorance I followed the advice of others and pushed him to do the work constantly) and made it ultimately miserable for both of us. Needless to say what I thought was arthritis with his inability to walk down hills comfortably turned out largely to be hoof pain or residual problems from hoof pain. This week he is fairly gliding down steep hills with more gusto than I am... o.o
    Regardless, I am currently studying studying the break down of tissues in the older horse in an online class I'm taking and I will be using extreme caution with hills to preserve the integrity of D's tendons and ligaments. That is my major concern with the hills right now. The plan is to do long, gradual slopes at a walk ONLY.
  • Trotting. Another milestone in D's recovery is being able to trot comfortably again with a heel fist landing. While the lunge line is not my favorite tool for the horse with hoof problems (again: torque on hooves), we don't currently have a roundpen or arena that would allow me to turn him loose. We are currently doing sets of trot for 5 minutes each, followed by breaks. I've had to really change by habits in this dept as I was always one to push a horse for more "engagement", bigger flashier movement, etc. I felt like if they weren't moving to suit my tastes they weren't exercising the muscles at their full range of motion. This article was key in busting my little bubble... Now instead I try to accept whatever speed and engagement Diego offers me, and study it to determine how he feels, what muscle groups seem stronger, which seem weaker - and is there improvement. I look for the 'bounce' in his step: gait suspension. Funny enough, when I stop pushing and leave him alone he often finds incredible trot-suspension on his own. His natural rhythm varies from day to day though and that admittedly throws me off sometimes.
UNDER SADDLE: current & future goal is 2-4x per week
It gives me chills to even write this - we are so close! I realize I'm being so painfully careful that it's giving half my horsey friends aneurisms, but I'd rather go "too slow" than too fast.
  • Sitting.  Just sitting, not doing anything else.
    I read somewhere a couple years back about the concept of 'loading the skeleton' that is allowing the horses' body to adjust to the weight of a rider first (bone, tendon, ligaments, muscle etc.) before asking for anything else. In light of D's long break from real riding this is something I'd like to try. People constantly say "Oh you can't possibly weigh anything! It won't be a problem for him!" But consider a person you know in their 60's - a parent, grandparent. Let's say they weigh about 180lbs, average build. Put a 30lb medicine ball in a backpack and ask them to stand there with it for 10 minutes or walk around the local park. Between arthritis, and age related weakness - let's be real - this is not as easy or comfortable as is made out. That does not take into account Diego's prior hoof pain.
  • Walking.
    So descriptive... I know. My goal is 30 min - 1hr walks eventually (over varied terrain) or fitness. Right now though I would settle for 10 minute walks around the edge of the pasture, avoiding an steep hills. 
  • Trotting.
    We won't be doing this for awhile. I feel like it's too much weight and concussion on his legs and spine. I want ample muscle built in his back first and time for his tendons and ligaments to adjust.
  • Poles.
    I'm not a huge pole fan, just because I was drilled on them as a hunter and later in jumping so much. Diego was never good at them either and tended to panic and try to jump them (it was always that 4th pole that threw him over the edge of reason) which in turn made me panicky about them. They're helpful though and I think despite our former bad experiences (and maybe because of them!) we need to walk poles... ALOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment