Friday, June 25, 2010

Cordeo

Two days ago after reading more on the AND forums (art of natural dressage for those wondering - check it out!), I decided to re-try working with D in a cordeo. (again for those wondering, a cordeo is a loose rope around the base of the neck)

As much as D fights against restraint and 'shuts down' I figured the cordeo would give him a much stronger feeling of freedom when working with me. I'll refrain from telling the story of my very first cordeo experience with him this winter... >.< but needless to say this time I want to make sure he is responsive, I won't be on his back and I won't be bareback XP lol.

I didn't have a leadrope or anything sufficient, but after a moment of thinking I came up with the idea to take one side of our biothane reins and clip the snap to the buckle at the other end. It fits him nicely. He looked at me though like "What are you doing human?" Once out in the ring I expected him to atleast trot off or walk away from me in happy freedom when I took the halter off. No such thing. He just stood there staring blankly at me. I get that blank look alot nowdays. =/ I walked off to the first barrel, he started after me but it took him several minute to follow. Actually I had to walk back part way and take a swing towards the rail before he felt inclinded to follow. Although part of his just outstanding enthusiasim *sarcasim* could have been the 95 degree heat. >.>

So we walked around, I worked with him on backing, which he did well. I'm still frustrated that I'm having to use sometimes a fair amount of preassure in his chest to get him to back, while other times just using wide spread arms and a "shooing" motion with an upright assertive torso will easily do the trick. Several days ago we also worked on yielding his shoulder. They've always been stiff and stuck, atleast when I'm doing ground work with him. The first time I tried to get him to yield it the other day he nearly glared at me. But I reminded him that 1 second before he'd easily moved his body laterally away from me, and the shoulder should be too hard in itself... I asked again and he rather clumsily complied. It was a big step for us, I definately need to work on it so he learns to readjust his balance and give the shoulder easier. I really want to get a camera out there and tape him, personally I feel he's actually pretty balanced in some cases, yet other times his progress seems terribly slow. I dunno... I think seeing it on camera would help me see what I can't upclose.

After our lateral and stepping under/backing I clipped the lead to the cordeo and began alittle work. At first he was reluctant and seemed to either be thinking or confused as to why I was doing this, but he followed me around easily with the cordeo. I question whether it was really my signals, or just my body language he was acting off of. Anyways after about 15 minutes total the heat was too much for us, so we went back to the barn. I know I have a tendancy to get ahead but I was so excited to see how he would do I asked him to walk back with me on the cordeo. Aside from trying to eat grass once (because I stopped and he took that as "break time") he behaved himself extremely well, I was impressed. ^__^

I'm so excited he's being so responsive.


One other note... as of this week I've been taking him on leisure walks on the longe to the creek. He did really well the first time, but he's gotten in the habit of trying to run by me, in front of me, or around me in a circle when I'm going going fast enough. Especially downhill it's hard to keep my balance.
One good excercise I'm sure he hates me for...
Walking up the epic hill: I stop every few strides, and we resume from the standstill. Keeps him from cheating and using momentum to climb up the hill. >=)

No comments:

Post a Comment